Makes one 9″ pie to serve 8 people. You are gonna love this pie, but do not substitute sweetened coconut shreds or “lite” coconut milk — just not the same.
- 5 ounces Animal Crackers – (buy the 8 ounce bag; use half the bag, plus 1/4 of what remains)
- 2 Tbs unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 4 Tbs unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 can coconut milk (14 ounces) — do not use “lite”!
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 Cup sugar for not too sweet. Add up to 4 Tbs more if like it sweeter.
- pinch of salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 Cup corn starch
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter, cut into two pieces
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Whipped Cream and Garnish
- 1 1/2 Cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs shredded coconut, toasted in dry skillet until golden
- the Crust — Put rack at lower level and set for 325 degrees.
- Process the crackers, coconut, and sugar for 20 pulses of 1 second each. Powder this for 5 more seconds.
- Put crumbs in medium bowl and add butter. Stir until evenly moistened – about 3 minutes.
- Pour crumbs into 9″ glass pie dish. Use rounded bottom of dry measuring cup to press crumbs into bottom and sides of dish. It will seem like the crust it too dry, but don’t add more butter or water or the crust will be gross – the hot custard will hold it together later.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until golden and fragrant.
- Cool on wire rack.
- the Filling — Bring coconut milk, whole milk, shredded coconut, 1/2 Cup sugar, and salt to simmer over medium-high heat. Stir to dissolve sugar.
- In medium bowl, whisk yolks, cornstarch, and remaining 1 Tbs sugar.
- Whisk constantly and add 1 Cup hot milk mixture into yolk mixture. Continue in 1 Cup increments. Do not stop whisking. This slow addition of heat “tempers” the eggs and keeps them from cooking in lumps.
- Return mixture to sauce pan and heat until starts to boil. Whisk constantly.
- Must boil 1 minute to thicken. Determine is boiling by stopping the whisk — bubbles should quickly pop onto the surface.
- Remove from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla.
- immediately pour the hot filling into cooled pie shell. Smooth out with rubber spatula if needed. Press plastic wrap onto the surface. Refrigerate until sets — 3 hours at least. Any longer than 12 hours and the crust will get soggy.
- the Topping — Just before serving, beat the cream, sugar, and vanilla with hand mixer. Start slowly at first. Increase speed to maximum for about 2 minutes until peaks form.
- Top cold pie with whipped cream, but do not smooth the surface. Sprinkle toasted coconut on top. Cut and serve immediately.
Enjoy — and thank the Lord for all the good things He has made for us to appreciate! We are NOT to be STOICS! That is Greek, Hellenistic philosophy and has no place in our understanding of God.