Made this for the family Sunday feast and all were very happy with it. This is a fantastic salad! The candied walnuts give a nice crunch that off-sets the cranberries and bacon. My family preferred more spinach in the mix (6 Cups), but you may prefer more intensity with less.
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1/2 C walnuts, pecans, or almond slivers
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 3-6 C prepared raw spinach (or mixed greens)
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled well
- 1/4 C chopped red onion
- 1/2 C dried cranberries, chopped as halved or quartered
- Candy the nuts. Pour 1/4 C sugar into small sauce pan and heat. As melts, add nuts and stir with a teaspoon to coat the nuts with melted sugar. Cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Pour out onto baking sheet covered with baking parchment and separate nuts. Set aside when cool.
- In larger bowl, mix vinegar, honey, pepper, mustard, and then oil. Use whisk to blend well.
- Just before serving, toss in the spinach/greens and mix really well. Can either toss in the remaining ingredients or sprinkle on top. Add walnuts on top last and enjoy.